Silent Killers in Your Home: How to Detect and Eliminate Them

From the moment you find out that there will be another member in your family to the moment they arrive, you need to do everything you can to create a safer and healthier home environment for your baby. However, even if you employ a detailed approach, you still may miss several hazards that can endanger your family’s health and safety. Therefore, when baby-proofing your home, it’s important that you keep your eyes open for these silent killers lurking around your safe haven.

Carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide is widely known as the silent killer because it’s both odourless and colourless. Carbon monoxide is caused by the combustion of fuels, such as wood, gas, charcoal, petrol, oil, etc., in an area without proper ventilation. It may be the result of blocked chimneys and vents or broken or improperly repaired appliances. If you’re exposed to carbon monoxide for even several minutes, it can deprive your major organs of oxygen, causing death. Children are even more vulnerable than adults because their bodies aren’t fully developed. Elder people and pregnant women are also at a greater risk.
Fortunately, this silent killer can be easily eliminated from your home. Aside from ensuring that all of your appliances properly maintained, fixed and ventilated, you should install audible carbon monoxide alarms in the rooms with appliances that burn fuel.

Asbestos

EGLIN AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. — Base housing officials are growing increasingly concerned with vandalism in demolition areas of base housing. The vacant houses pose a health hazard due to electrical, gas and asbestos exposure dangers. (U.S. Air Force photo/ Airman Anthony Jennings

Asbestos was once one of the most popular building materials, especially in Australia. However, once it was proven that asbestos is actually a dangerous carcinogen, countries started banning its use. Unfortunately, a great number of old houses built before 1980s are highly likely to contain asbestos, as well as some built between 1980s and 1990s. Exposure to asbestos can cause serious health problems, including lung cancer, mesothelioma and asbestosis.
However, asbestos is typically not dangerous if it’s not disturbed. If you’re planning to remodel your old home, it’s advisable that you contact professionals who can identify and deal with asbestos. For example, comprehensive asbestos testing in Sydney is performed solely by accredited and licensed professionals in special laboratories. Under no circumstances should you perform an asbestos inspection by yourself because you may disturb it and risk releasing it throughout your home.

Radon

Radon is another odourless gas that can be found in home building materials. This gas is also radioactive and proven to be one of the major causes of lung cancer. Radon can be detected solely by performing an inspection with an appropriate radon gas detector kit. This is a simple process that can help you detect and measure the levels of radon in your home if it’s present. You can perform the inspection easily and get the results quickly. Once you confirm that there are traces of radon in your home, you can consult with competent radon mitigation contractors who can help you get rid of it.

Window blinds

You may not be aware of the fact that window blinds are actually a great hazard that can endanger your children’s safety. Children around the world are injured or even strangled by window-blind cords. Although these window blinds now need to meet certain safety standards and cords with loops are eliminated from production, you should still make sure that this hidden danger isn’t lurking in your home. If your window blinds have cords with loops, you should consider replacing them with cordless blinds or make sure that the cords aren’t accessible to your children.

Toys

Toys are an integral part of childhood, but they may actually be a serious safety hazard. Stuffed animals, in particular, can cause suffocation if you leave them in the crib with your baby. In addition, children can pull off tiny pieces, such as eyes or buttons, and choke on them. Furthermore, it’s essential that you wash your kids’ stuffed toys regularly because they may collect germs, allergens and bugs. You should also keep your eyes open for toys with small magnets because they can seriously harm your children if swallowed. Therefore, it’s not advisable that you let your children play with them if they’re younger than six.

When creating a safe, healthy environment for your children, you should definitely pay special attention to these unexpected silent killers.

This post is contributed by Cooper Klein, he is an entrepreneur with a degree in Marketing. He’s interested in real estate and home decor. In order to spend more time with his family, Cooper decided to take a break, and he’s currently working from home as a blogger for Smoothdecorator.com and several other sites.

You can connect with him on his Twitter too: https://twitter.com/CooperNKlein

You may also like

2 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *